Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files

From: Alvaro Herrera from 2ndQuadrant <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files
Date: 2019-09-11 12:51:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-Sep-11, Amit Khandekar wrote:

> I reproduced the error "exceeded maxAllocatedDescs (492) while trying
> to open file ...", which was also discussed about in the thread [1].
> This issue is similar but not exactly the same as [1]. In [1], the
> file for which this error used to show up was
> "pg_logical/mappings/map...." , while here it's the .spill file. And
> here the issue , in short, seems to be : The .spill file does not get
> closed there and then, unlike in [1] where there was a file descriptor
> leak.

Uh-oh :-( Thanks for the reproducer -- I confirm it breaks things.

> Looking at the code, what might be happening is,
> ReorderBufferIterTXNInit()=>ReorderBufferRestoreChanges() opens the
> files, but leaves them open if end of file is not reached. Eventually
> if end of file is reached, it gets closed. The function returns back
> without closing the file descriptor if reorder buffer changes being
> restored are more than max_changes_in_memory. Probably later on, the
> rest of the changes get restored in another
> ReorderBufferRestoreChanges() call. But meanwhile, if there are a lot
> of such files opened, we can run out of the max files that PG decides
> to keep open (it has some logic that takes into account system files
> allowed to be open, and already opened).

Makes sense.

> Offhand, what I am thinking is, we need to close the file descriptor
> before returning from ReorderBufferRestoreChanges(), and keep track of
> the file offset and file path, so that next time we can resume reading
> from there.

I think doing this all the time would make restore very slow -- there's
a reason we keep the files open, after all. It would be better if we
can keep the descriptors open as much as possible, and only close them
if there's trouble. I was under the impression that using
OpenTransientFile was already taking care of that, but that's evidently
not the case.