Re: Proposal: roll pg_stat_statements into core

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: roll pg_stat_statements into core
Date: 2019-09-04 01:38:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-Sep-03, Stephen Frost wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> * David Fetter (david(at)fetter(dot)org) wrote:
> > I'd like to $Subject, on by default, with a switch to turn it off for
> > those really at the outer edges of performance. Some reasons include:
>
> Sure, half of contrib should really be in core (amcheck, file_fdw,
> postgres_fdw, maybe dblink, pageinspect, pg_buffercache,
> pg_freespacemap, pgstattuple, pg_visibility, sslinfo, maybe pgtrgm..)
> but we simply haven't got great facilities for either migrating those
> things into core (particularly during an upgrade..)

I think there is a false dichotomy here. Migrating an extension out of
contrib doesn't have to equate making it no longer an extension. We
could, instead, keep it being an extension, but move it out of contrib
and into (say) src/extensions/ so that it becomes installed and
available by default, but still an extension. Users won't have to
install a separate contrib package, but they would still have to run
CREATE EXTENSION.

We don't incur the upgrade pain if we do that, for one thing. Also, we
don't force everybody to have it; and we don't have to invent this
hypothetical switch to turn it off.