Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key Management Service (KMS)

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Moon, Insung" <Moon_Insung_i3(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key Management Service (KMS)
Date: 2019-07-29 13:44:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 08:43:06PM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> > I am thinking of writing some Assert() code that checks that all buffers
> > using a single LSN are from the same relation (and therefore different
> > page numbers). I would do it by creating a static array, clearing it on
> > XLogBeginInsert(), adding to it for each XLogInsert(), then checking on
> > PageSetLSN() that everything in the array is from the same file. Does
> > that make sense?
>
> I had the same concern before. We could have BKPBLOCK_SAME_REL flag in
> XLogRecordBlockHeader, which indicates that the relation of the block
> is the same as the previous block and therefore we skip to write
> RelFileNode. At first glance I thought it's possible that one WAL
> record can contain different RelFileNodes but I didn't find any code
> attempting to do that.

Yes, the point is that the WAL record makes it possible, so we either
have to test for it or allow it.

> Checking that all buffers using a single LSN are from the same
> relation would be a good idea but I think it's hard to test it and
> regard the test result as okay. Even if we passed 'make checkworld',
> it might still be possible to happen. And even assertion failures

Yes, the problem is that if you embed the relfilenode or tablespace or
database in the encryption IV, you then need to then make sure you
re-encrypt any files that move between these. I am hesitant to do that
since it then requires these workarounds for encryption going forward.
We know that most people will not be using encryption, so that will not
be well tested either. For pg_upgrade, I used a minimal-impact
approach, and it has allowed dramatic changes in our code without
requiring changes and retesting of pg_upgrade.

> don't happen in production environment. So I guess it would be better
> to have IV so that we never reuse in different relation with the same
> page. An idea I came up with is that we make IV from (PageLSN,
> PageNumber, relNode) and have the encryption keys per tablespace.
> That way, we never reuse IV in a different relation with the same page
> number because relNode is unique within a database in a particular
> tablespace as you mentioned.

Yes, this is what we are discussing. Whether the relfilenode is part of
the IV, or we derive a key with a mix of the master encryption key and
relfilenode is mostly a matter of what fits into which bits. With CTR,
I think we agreed it has to be LSN and page-number (and CTR counter),
and we only have 5 bits left. If we wanted to add anything else, it
would be done via the creation of a derived key; this was covered here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAH7T-ap1Q9yHjGSO4ZJaVhU3L=u14TSHmR++Ccc_Hk3EoqKpUQ@mail.gmail.com

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +