Re: Intermittent pg_ctl failures on Windows

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: r(dot)zharkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Badrul Chowdhury <bachow(at)microsoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Intermittent pg_ctl failures on Windows
Date: 2019-07-18 08:51:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 09:54:16PM +0700, r(dot)zharkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru wrote:
> You are right. I tested branch REL_11_STABLE and it is my mistake.
>
> [...]
>
> The probability is very small. In one of our tests pg_ctl fails with that
> error sometime.
> In a test with multiple frequent restarts the probability is 5-6%. On other
> machines probability differs.
> To find out the real error code we used the Process Monitor utility.

I would like to be sure of something here. Are those failures based
on what you have tested on REL_11_STABLE or do you still see pg_ctl
complain about such things on HEAD (post f02259fe as mentioned by Tom
upthread)? I would like to think that you mean the former and the
latter, but this thread mentions only the former.
--
Michael