Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key Management Service (KMS)

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Moon, Insung" <Moon_Insung_i3(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key Management Service (KMS)
Date: 2019-07-15 23:56:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 06:11:41PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 11:05:30PM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> >
>> > Uh, if someone modifies a few bytes of the page, we will decrypt it, but
>> > the checksum (per-page or WAL) will not match our decrypted output. How
>> > would they make it match the checksum without already knowing the key.
>> > I read [1] but could not see that explained.
>> >

>> Our checksum is only 16 bits, so perhaps one way would be to just
>> generate 64k of randomly modified pages and hope one of them happens to
>> hit the right checksum value. Not sure how practical such attack is, but
>> it does require just filesystem access.
>
>Yes, that would work, and opens the question of whether our checksum is
>big enough for this, and if it is not, we need to find space for it,
>probably with a custom encrypted page format. :-( And that makes
>adding encryption offline almost impossible because you potentially have
>to move tuples around. Yuck!

Right. We've been working on allowing to disable checksum online, and it
would be useful to allow something like that for encryption too I guess.
And without some sort of page-level flag that won't be possible, which
would be rather annoying.

Not sure it needs to be in the page itself, though - that's pretty much
why I proposed to store metadata (IV, key ID, ...) for encryption in a
new fork. That would be a bit more flexible than storing it in the page
itself (e.g. different encryption schemes might easily store different
amounts of metadata).

Maybe a new fork is way too complex solution, not sure.

>> FWIW our CRC algorithm is not quite HMAC, because it's neither keyed nor
>> a cryptographic hash algorithm. Now, maybe we don't want authenticated
>> encryption (e.g. XTS is not authenticated, unlike GCM/CCM).
>
>I thought just encrypting the CRC value would be enough to detect
>changes, but you are right that some you could just do 64k pages until
>one hit.

Right. Not sure that's really a practical attack we need to worry about,
considering all of this is vulnerable to replay attacks.

>> > This post discussed it:
>> >
>> > https://crypto.stackexchange.com/questions/202/should-we-mac-then-encrypt-or-encrypt-then-mac
>> >
>> > I realize in a new system we might prefer encrypt-then-mac, TLS and SSL
>> > do it differently, and I don't think the security problems of
>> > MAC-then-Encrypt apply to our use-case, e.g. API programming errors.
>> >
>> > If we want to go crazy, we could encrypt, assume zeros for the CRC,
>> > compute the MAC and put it in the place of the CRC is, but then tools
>> > that read CRC would see that as an error, so we don't want to go there.
>> > Yes, crazy.

>> > Uh, the keys are stored in a PGDATA file --- seems simple enough, but we
>> > would either have to do whole-cluster encryption or have some per-page
>> > encryption flag.
>> >

>> And how do you know which files are encrypted and which are not, and
>> which keys are used for which file? Presumably that's in some system
>> catalog, which is not available in offline mode.
>
>You would need either all-cluster encryption (no need to check) or a
>per-page bit that says the page is encrypted, and the bit has to be in
>the part of the page that is not encryped, e.g., near LSN.

>> > I don't think we are planning to store the nonce/IV on each page but
>> > rather use the LSN (already on the page), and perhaps in addition, the
>> > page number.
>>
>> But the LSN is in the page header, and AFAICS the page header is
>> encrypted. So how do you decrypt the page without knowing the LSN (which
>> I think you need to know in otder to derive the IV)?
>
>My poposal was that the first 16 bytes of the page are not encrypted.

Ah, I see.

>> Also, we probably don't want to expose the checksum, because it may
>> reveal information about page contents (since it's not a HMAC).
>
>Uh, I have not heard of that as an issue.

To clarify, I think it's more a general issue - the checksum does leak a
bit of information about the plaintext, I think that's fairly obvious. I
don't know if 16 bits is enough for practical attacks, though.

But it clearly is not the same thing as HMAC, so we should not treat it
as such.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com