Re: Patch to document base64 encoding

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: Patch to document base64 encoding
Date: 2019-07-13 22:03:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Fabien,

Attached is doc_base64_v10.patch

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:58:21 +0200 (CEST)
Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:

> >> I suggested "Function <>decode</> ...", which is the kind of thing
> >> we do in academic writing to improve precision, because I thought
> >> it could be better:-)
> >
> > "Function <>decode</> ..." just does not work in English.
>
> It really works in research papers: "Theorem X can be proven by
> applying Proposition Y. See Figure 2 for details. Algorithm Z
> describes whatever, which is listed in Table W..."

I've not thought about it before but I suppose the difference
is between declarative and descriptive, the latter being
more inviting and better allows for flow between sentences.
Otherwise you're writing in bullet points. So it is a
question of balance between specification and narration.
In regular prose you're always going to see the "the"
unless the sentence starts with the name. The trouble
is that we can't start sentences with function names
because of capitalization confusion.

> > I hope that 3 patches will make review easier.
>
> Not really. I'm reviewing the 3 patches put together rather than each
> one individually, which would require more work.

I figured with e.g. a separate patch for moving and alphabetizing
that it'd be easier to check that nothing got lost. Anyhow,
Just one patch this time.

> convert: I'd merge the 2 first sentences to state that if convert
> from X to Y. The doc does not say explicitely what happens if a
> character cannot be converted. After testing, an error is raised. The
> example comment could add ", if possible".

Done. Good idea. I reworked the whole paragraph to shorten and
clarify since I was altering it anyway. This does introduce
some inconsistency with wording that appears elsewhere but it seems
worth it because the listentry box was getting overfull.

> to_hex: add "." at the end of the sentence?

I left as-is, without a ".". The only consistent rule about
periods in the listentrys seems to be that if there's more than
one sentence then there's periods -- I think. In any case a
lot of them don't have periods and probably don't need
periods. I don't know what to do and since the original did
not have a period it seems better to leave well enough alone.

> Minor comment: you usually put two spaces between a "." and the first
> world of then next sentence, but not always.

I now always put 2 spaces after the end of a sentence. But
I've only done this where I've changed text, not when
moving pre-existing text around. Again, there seems
to be no consistency in the original. (I believe docbook
redoes all inter-sentence spacing anyway.)

Thanks for the help.

I'll be sure to sign up to review a patch (or patches) when life
permits.

Regards,

Karl <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Attachment Content-Type Size
doc_base64_v10.patch text/x-patch 20.0 KB