Re: PGOPTIONS="-fh" make check gets stuck since Postgres 11

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGOPTIONS="-fh" make check gets stuck since Postgres 11
Date: 2019-07-10 07:40:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 12:51:28PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> It would be good if we can come up with something like that. It will
> be helpful for zheap, where in some cases we get different row
> ordering due to in-place updates. As of now, we try to add Order By
> or do some extra magic to get consistent row ordering.

That was an issue for me as well when working with Postgres-XC when
the row ordering was not guaranteed depending on the number of nodes
(speaking of which Greenplum has the same issues, no?). Adding ORDER
BY clauses to a set of tests may make sense, but then this may impact
the plans generated for some of them..
--
Michael