Re: allow_system_table_mods stuff

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: allow_system_table_mods stuff
Date: 2019-07-08 03:45:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 11:20:51AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I do see value in two switches not one, but it's what I said above,
> to not need to give people *more* chance-to-break-things than they
> had before when doing manual catalog fixes. That is, we need a
> setting that corresponds more or less to current default behavior.
>
> There's an aesthetic argument to be had about whether to have two
> bools or one three-way switch, but I prefer the former; there's
> no backward-compatibility issue here since allow_system_table_mods
> couldn't be set by applications anyway.

I like a single three-way switch since if you are allowing DDL, you
probably don't care if you restrict DML. log_statement already has a
similar distinction with values of none, ddl, mod, all. I assume
allow_system_table_mods could have value of false, dml, true.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +