Re: nbtdesc.c and nbtpage.c are inconsistent with XLOG_BTREE_META_CLEANUP (11~)

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: nbtdesc.c and nbtpage.c are inconsistent with XLOG_BTREE_META_CLEANUP (11~)
Date: 2019-06-19 02:04:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 07:14:05PM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> The WAL record in question, XLOG_BTREE_META_CLEANUP, is certainly one
> of the less common record types used by nbtree. I agree that this
> should have been tested when it went in, but I'm not surprised that
> the bug remained undetected for a year. Not that many people use
> pg_waldump.

Actually, a simple installcheck generates a handful of them. I have
not actually run into a crash, but this causes pg_waldump to describe
the record incorrectly. Committed down to 11 after cross-checking
that the data inserted in the WAL record and what gets described are
both consistent.

_bt_restore_meta() does the right thing by the way when restoring the
page.
--
Michael