Re: Should we warn against using too many partitions?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should we warn against using too many partitions?
Date: 2019-06-10 13:44:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

part_doc_pg10_v5.patch :
+ query planning and execution. The query planner is generally able to
+ handle partition hierarchies up a few hundred partition. Planning times

"up TO a few hundred partition*S*" ?

part_doc_master_v5.patch:
+ Choosing the target number of partitions into which the table should be
+ divided by is also a critical decision to make.

"into which ... should be divided by" seems like a copy-editing
mistake. Did you mean to remove either the "into which" or the "by"?
I think "the target number of partitions THAT the table should be
divided into" is simple and sensible; I'm not sure I trust the version
with "into which" instead of "that", and the role of "by" is not clear
to me ("divide by" implies a divisor, but here we're talking about the
resulting chunks and not the divisor).

In this phrase (all versions):
+ That's because each partition requires its own metadata that must be
+ loaded into the local memory of each session that touches it.

I would replace "requires its own metadata that must be loaded" with
"requires its metadata to be loaded".