Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning
Date: 2019-05-24 15:58:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2019-05-24 11:34:58 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> >> What do people think about adding something like this errbacktrace()
> >> from Álvaro's patch to core PostgreSQL?
>
> > I think we did discuss it right after that, or somewhere nearby, and
> > concluded that the output is so imprecise that it's not really going
> > to be worth whatever portability issues we'd have to deal with.
>
> Hmm, after some digging in the archives, the closest thing I can find
> is this thread:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAMsr%2BYGL%2ByfWE%3DJvbUbnpWtrRZNey7hJ07%2BzT4bYJdVp4Szdrg%40mail.gmail.com
>
> where we discussed using libunwind instead, but people didn't like
> the extra dependency.

Hm, I didn't actually see that much concern about that. I still think we
should just go for libunwind. At least on debian it's likely to already
be installed:

andres(at)alap4:~$ apt rdepends libunwind8
libunwind8
Reverse Depends:
Depends: libunwind-dev (= 1.2.1-9)
Depends: linux-perf-4.16
Depends: linux-perf-4.15
Depends: linux-perf-4.14
Depends: rspamd
Depends: linux-perf-5.0
Depends: libjulia1
Depends: julia
Depends: geary
Depends: libunwind8-dbgsym (= 1.2.1-9)
Depends: xwayland
Depends: xvfb
Depends: xserver-xorg-core
Depends: xserver-xephyr
Depends: xnest
Depends: xdmx
Depends: trafficserver
Depends: tigervnc-standalone-server
Depends: tarantool
Depends: strace
Depends: spring
Depends: rspamd
Depends: linux-perf-4.19
Depends: libunwind-setjmp0
Depends: libeina1a
Depends: libjulia1
Depends: julia
Depends: intel-gpu-tools
Depends: libheaptrack
Depends: libgoogle-perftools4
Depends: libgoogle-glog0v5
Depends: gdnsd
Depends: libevas1-engines-x
Depends: libevas1

In particular strace, xserver-xorg-core, perf are reasonably likely to
already installed.

It's also not a large library. I'd bet if we made it an optional
build-time dependency it'd get included by just about every distro.

Greetings,

Andres Freund