Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights
Date: 2019-05-18 13:20:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 11:34:34PM +1200, David Rowley wrote:
> On Sat, 18 May 2019 at 14:30, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > No one has suggested new wording, so I don't know what you are
> > complaining about. In fact, the wording we have now is by Amit Langote.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAKJS1f8R6DC45bauzeGF-QMaQ90B_NFSJB9mvVOuhKVDkajehg@mail.gmail.com

The second item I added yesterday at the prompting of Amit:

commit 05685897f0
Author: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Date: Fri May 17 11:31:49 2019 -0400

docs: split out sort-skip partition item in PG 12 release notes

https://postgr.es/m/0cf10a27-c6a0-de4a-cd20-ab7493ea7422@lab.ntt.co.jp

> Avoid sorting when partitions are already being scanned in the
> necessary order (David Rowley)

The first one needs to reference visible effects, so I would add:

Consider additional optimizations for queries referencing
partitioned tables that only affect a single partition

Does that work?

It seems you never got a reply to that email, perhaps because I thought
Amit's next email was covering the same issue. I am sorry for that.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +