Re: pgindent run next week?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgindent run next week?
Date: 2019-05-17 17:27:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2019-05-17 10:29:46 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> We should do a pgindent run fairly soon, so that people with patches
> awaiting the next CF will have plenty of time to rebase them as
> necessary.

+1

> I don't want to do it right this minute, to avoid making trouble for the
> several urgent patches we're trying to get done before Monday's beta1
> wrap. But after the beta is tagged seems like it'd be a good time.

+1

> Also, how do people feel about adopting the function prototype
> indenting change discussed in

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAEepm%3D0P3FeTXRcU5B2W3jv3PgRVZ-kGUXLGfd42FFhUROO3ug%40mail.gmail.com

I think it'd be a huge improvement. I find it pretty annoying having to
figure out the indentations to avoid unnecessary pgindent changes (after
Thomas' explanation as to why it happens, I usually just add a linebreak
after the return type, indent everything, and remove it).

Would we want to also apply this to the back branches to avoid spurious
conflicts?

Greetings,

Andres Freund