Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Evan Macbeth <evan(dot)macbeth(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights
Date: 2019-05-17 14:19:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 08:14:33AM -0400, Evan Macbeth wrote:
> Long time lurker, first time poster. :)
>

> 80% - 90% of the items listed in the release notes aren't interesting
> to users, but *which* 80% - 90% it is varies. The release notes don't
> have to function as a press release, because we'll have an actual
> press release instead.
> --
> Peter Geoghegan
>

> I think Peter's point here is really important. I read the release notes and
> the press releases, both, from a very different perspective than others, but I
> find both very valuable. The release notes benefit from completeness and
> detail, in my observer's opinion.

As I just stated, if the press release was exhaustive, we could have the
release notes be more detailed, but this is not the case. I don't think
we want to get into a case where the items listed on the preess release
get a different level of detail from the items not listed.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +