Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights
Date: 2019-05-17 03:50:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 10:21:35PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I think we expect people to read them fully because how would they know
> what changed and what new features were added. I do think allowing more
> detail by showing the commit messages would be helpful for people who
> want to drill down on an item.

This point is interesting. The release notes include in the sgml
sources references to the related commits. Could it make sense to
have links to the main commits of a feature which can be clicked on
directly from the html docs or such? I understand that producing the
notes is a daunting task already, and Bruce does an awesome job. Just
wondering if we could make that automated in some way if that helps
with the user experience... Anyway, this is unrelated to the topic of
this thread. My apologies for the digression.
--
Michael