Re: New EXPLAIN option: ALL

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New EXPLAIN option: ALL
Date: 2019-05-13 05:51:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 06:25:12PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I'm generally in favor of doing something like what Tom is suggesting
> > with VERBOSE, but I also feel like it should be the default for formats
> > like JSON. If you're asking for the output in JSON, then we really
> > should include everything that a flag like VERBOSE would contain because
> > you're pretty clearly planning to copy/paste that output into something
> > else to read it anyway.
>
> Meh --- I don't especially care for non-orthogonal behaviors like that.
> If you wanted JSON but *not* all of the additional info, how would you
> specify that? (The implementation I had in mind would make VERBOSE OFF
> more or less a no-op, so that wouldn't get you there.)
>
> >> I do feel that it's a good idea to keep ANALYZE separate. "Execute
> >> the query or not" is a mighty fundamental thing. I've never liked
> >> that name for the option though --- maybe we could deprecate it
> >> in favor of EXECUTE?
>
> > Let's not fool ourselves by saying we'd 'deprecate' it because that
> > implies, at least to me, that there's some intention of later on
> > removing it
>
> True, the odds of ever actually removing it are small :-(. I meant
> mostly changing all of our docs to use the other spelling, except
> for some footnote. Maybe we could call ANALYZE a "legacy spelling"
> of EXECUTE.

I tried changing it to EXEC (EXPLAIN EXECUTE is already a thing), but
got a giant flock of reduce-reduce conflicts along with a few
shift-reduce conflicts.

How do I fix this?

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-WIP-broken-Changed-EXPLAIN-ANALYZE-to-EXPLAIN-EXE.patch text/x-diff 104.7 KB