Re: PG 12 draft release notes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PG 12 draft release notes
Date: 2019-05-13 03:52:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 09:49:40AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 10:00:38AM +0300, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> > Bruce,
> >
> > I noticed that jsonpath in your version is mentioned only in functions
> > chapter, but commit
> > 72b6460336e86ad5cafd3426af6013c7d8457367 is about implementation of
> > SQL-2016 standard. We implemented JSON Path language as a jsonpath
> > datatype with a bunch of support functions, our implementation
> > supports 14 out of 15 features and it's the most complete
> > implementation (we compared oracle, mysql and ms sql).
>
> Glad you asked. I was very confused about why a data type was added for
> a new path syntax. Is it a new storage format for JSON, or something
> else? I need help on this.

I talked to Alexander Korotkov on chat about this. The data types are
used as arguments to the functions, similar to how tsquery and tsvector
are used for full text search.

Therefore, the data types are not really useful on their own, but as
support for path functions. However, path functions are more like JSON
queries, rather than traditional functions, so it odd to list them under
functions, but there isn't a more reasonable place to put them.

Alexander researched how we listed full text search in the release notes
that added the feature, but we had "General" category at that time that
we don't have now.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +