Re: pgsql: docs: fist draft version of the PG 12 release notes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: docs: fist draft version of the PG 12 release notes
Date: 2019-05-11 01:25:18
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 10:54:32AM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
> On 2019/05/10 5:57, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > So, in this case, there were so many partitioning improvements, I just
> > lumped them into one item. I think everyone can consider partitions to
> > perform much better in PG 12. Is there something more specific we
> > should communicate here?
>
> So the current text, which is:
>
> +<para>
> +Improve performance of pruning many partitions (Amit Langote, David
> Rowley, Tom Lane, Álvaro Herrera)
> +</para>
> +
> +<para>
> +Now thousands of partitions can be pruned efficiently.
> +</para>
> +</listitem>
>
> mentions improving "pruning" efficiency which applies only to
> SELECT/UPDATE/DELETE queries and can be attributed to only one of the many
> commits listed with this item. Performance of short INSERTs (as opposed
> to bulk-inserts including COPY) is also improved, but it has nothing to do
> "pruning".
>
> That said, efficiency is improved in both cases by not doing redundant
> work for partitions that are not affected by the query, that is,
>
> * for partitions which are pruned for a given SELECT/UPDATE/DELETE query
> (planner improvement)
>
> * for partitions which are not inserted into by a given INSERT statement
> (executor improvement, part of which was done in v11 but v11 still locks
> *all* partitions whereas v12 will only lock those that are inserted into)
>

> So, it might be fair to lump them, but maybe not use the word "pruning",
> because it describes only subset of affected workloads.

I struggled to talk about partitioning since there were so many
improvements. I favored a more generic item that just suggested
dramatic improvements. I have modified the text to:

Improve performance of many operations on partitioned tables (Amit
Langote, David Rowley, Tom Lane, Álvaro Herrera)

Also, thousands of partitions can now be pruned efficiently.

Committed. Does that work?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +