Re: pg12 release notes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg12 release notes
Date: 2019-05-11 00:32:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 08:34:49PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 09:02:51PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > These were all very helpful. I adjusted your changes to create the
> > attached applied patch. URL updated:
>
> Thanks.
>
> > -Allow more comparisons with information_schema text columns to use indexes (Tom Lane)
> > +Allow more use of indexes for text columns comparisons with information_schema columns (Tom Lane)
>
> I think "columns" should not be plural..but it could be better still:

I now realize "columns" is not necessary, so I removed it.

> |Allow use of indexes for more comparisons with text columns of information_schema (Tom Lane)
>
> Regarding this proposed change of mine:
> -Btree indexes pg_upgraded from previous releases will not have this ordering. This slightly reduces the maximum length of indexed values.
> +Btree indexes pg_upgraded from previous releases will not have this ordering. This slightly reduces the maximum permitted length of indexed values.
>
> I think "permitted" is important, since otherwise it sounds like maybe for
> whatever values are being indexed, their maximum length is reduced by this
> patch. If you overthink it, you could decide that maybe that's happening due
> to use of prefix/suffix truncation or something ..

Agreed. I changed it to "maximum-allowed length". I also reordered the
paragraph.

> Should this one be listed twice ? I tried to tell if it was intentional but
> couldn't decide..
> 249d64999 Add support TCP user timeout in libpq and the backend se

One is a server variable, the other a libpq option.

Applied patch attached.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +

Attachment Content-Type Size