Re: Regression test PANICs with master-standby setup on same machine

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Cc: kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regression test PANICs with master-standby setup on same machine
Date: 2019-04-23 04:41:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Tue, 23 Apr 2019 13:33:39 +0900 (Tokyo Standard Time), Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote in <20190423(dot)133339(dot)113770648(dot)horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
> At Tue, 23 Apr 2019 11:27:06 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote in <20190423022706(dot)GG2712(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
> > On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 03:52:59PM +0530, Kuntal Ghosh wrote:
> > > I accept that configuring master-standby on the same machine for this
> > > test is not okay. But, can we avoid the PANIC somehow? Or, is this
> > > intentional and I should not include testtablespace in this case?
> >
> > Well, it is a bit more than "not okay", as the primary and the
> > standby step on each other's toe because they are trying to use the
> > same tablespace path. The PANIC is also expected as that's what we
> > want with data_sync_retry = off, which is the default, and the wanted
> > behavior to PANIC immediately and enforce WAL recovery should a fsync
> > fail. Obviously, not being able to have transparent tablespace
> > handling for multiple nodes on the same host is a problem, though this
> > implies grammar changes for CREATE TABLESPACE or having a sort of
> > node name handling which makes the experience trouble-less. Still
> > there is the argument that not all users would want both instances to
> > use the same tablespace path. So the problem is not as simple as it
> > looks, and the cost of solving it is not worth the use cases either.
>
> We could easily adopt a jail or chroot like feature to tablespace
> paths. Suppose a new GUC(!), say, tablespace_chroot and the value
> can contain replacements like %a, %p, %h, we would set the
> variable as:
>
> tablespace_chroot = '/somewhere/%p';
>
> then the tablespace location is prefixed by '/somewhere/5432' for
> the first server, '/somehwere/5433' for the second.
>
> I think this is rahter a testing or debugging feature. This can
> be apply to all paths, so the variable might be "path_prefix" or

all paths out of $PGDATA directory. tablespace locations,
log_directory and stats_temp_directory?

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center