Re: BUG #15734: Walsender process crashing when executing SHOW ALL;

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: cyberdemn(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15734: Walsender process crashing when executing SHOW ALL;
Date: 2019-04-10 15:01:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2019-Apr-10, Michael Paquier wrote:

> After pondering more about this one, allowing replication to have the
> same rights as a superuser in this case does not feel completely right
> either as this is just a shortcut to bypass the syscache lookups
> happening through is_member_of_role(). So attached is a much better
> and simple idea: let's just use a transaction context when issuing the
> SHOW command so as it is possible to perform cache lookups correctly.
> This way, even a replication role is not able to see some parameters
> except if the role is a member of pg_read_all_settings, which is more
> consistent.
>
> This needs a backpatch down to v10.

Thanks for tracking this down.

I think we should have a few tests issuing SHOW ALL in a replication
connection with various levels of privilege; it's annoying that this bug
took two years to find. With that, special-purpose buildfarm members
would tell us if we've made some mistake in transaction handling or
whatever.