Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: david(at)fetter(dot)org
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?
Date: 2019-04-08 22:42:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sun, Apr 07, 2019 at 12:59:05PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> > Should we change the default of the password_encryption setting to
>> > 'scram-sha-256' in PG12?
>>
>> I thought we were going to wait a bit longer --- that just got added
>> last year, no? What do we know about the state of support in client
>> libraries?
>
> Great idea! Does it make sense to test all, or at least some
> significant fraction of the connectors listed in
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Client_Libraries by default?

I am not sure all third party programs concerning scram-sha-256 are
listed on this. There are some programs that talk to PostgreSQL using
frontend/backend protocol, but not based on libpq or other native
drivers (for example Pgpool-II). I guess PgBouncer is in the same
category too.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii