Re: COPY FREEZE and setting PD_ALL_VISIBLE/visibility map bits

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: COPY FREEZE and setting PD_ALL_VISIBLE/visibility map bits
Date: 2019-04-04 19:23:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2019-04-04 16:15:54 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2019-Apr-04, Andres Freund wrote:
>
> > I'm totally not OK with this from a layering
> > POV. CheckAndSetAllVisibleBulkInsertState is entirely heap specific
> > (without being named such), whereas all the heap specific bits are
> > getting moved below tableam.
>
> This is a fair complaint, but on the other hand the COPY changes for
> table AM are still being developed, so there's no ground on which to
> rebase this patch. Do you have a timeline on getting the COPY one
> committed?

~2h. Just pondering the naming of some functions etc. Don't think
there's a large interdependency though.

But even if tableam weren't committed, I'd still argue that it's
structurally done wrong in the patch right now. FWIW, I actually think
this whole approach isn't quite right - this shouldn't be done as a
secondary action after we'd already inserted, with a separate
lock-unlock cycle etc.

Also, how is this code even close to correct?
CheckAndSetPageAllVisible() modifies the buffer in a crucial way, and
there's no WAL logging? Without even a comment arguing why that's OK (I
don't think it is)?

Greetings,

Andres Freund