Re: New vacuum option to do only freezing

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com, bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com, alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New vacuum option to do only freezing
Date: 2019-04-04 00:17:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello.

At Wed, 3 Apr 2019 11:55:00 -0400, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in <CA+Tgmoas581jpJ0TPaA38OhjXHgbLy8z1fuuHH7CaNkrboZJeA(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 1:32 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Attached the updated version patches including the
> > DISABLE_PAGE_SKIPPING part (0003).
>
> I am confused about nleft_dead_tuples. It looks like it gets
> incremented whenever we set tupgone = true, regardless of whether we
> are doing index cleanup. But if we ARE doing index cleanup then the
> dead tuple will not be left. And if we are not doing index vacuum
> then we still don't need this for anything, because tups_vacuumed is
> counting the same thing. I may be confused. But if I'm not, then I
> think this should just be ripped out, and we should only keep
> nleft_dead_itemids.

tups_vacuumed is including heap_page_prune()ed tuples, which
aren't counted as "tupgone".

> As far as VacOptTernaryValue, I think it would be safer to change this
> so that VACOPT_TERNARY_DEFAULT = 0. That way palloc0 will fill in the
> value that people are likely to want by default, which makes it less
> likely that people will accidentally write future code that doesn't
> clean up indexes.

It's convincing. My compalint was enabled=0 and disabled=1 is
confusing so I'm fine with default=0, disabled=1, enabled=2.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center