Re: Unified logging system for command-line programs

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Donald Dong <xdong(at)csumb(dot)edu>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Unified logging system for command-line programs
Date: 2019-04-02 20:48:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-Apr-02, Tom Lane wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > I don't much like the code that does
> > pg_log_error("%s", something);
>
> > because then the string "%s" is marked for translation.
>
> Uh, surely we've got hundreds of instances of that in the system already?

Actually, we don't have that many, but there are more than I remembered
there being -- my memory was telling me that I had erradicated them all
in commit 55a70a023c3d but that's sadly misinformed. Seeing this (and
also because the API would become nastier than I thought it would), I'll
leave this stuff be for now.