Re: monitoring CREATE INDEX [CONCURRENTLY]

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Rahila Syed <rahila(dot)syed(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: monitoring CREATE INDEX [CONCURRENTLY]
Date: 2019-03-29 18:16:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-Mar-29, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> So, CLUSTER and ALTER TABLE rewrites only do non-concurrent index
> builds; and REINDEX can reuse pretty much the same wait-for metrics
> columns as CIC. So I think it's okay if I move only the metrics that
> conflict for index_build.

The attached version does it that way. I had to enlarge the param set a
bit more. (I suspect those extra columns will be useful to reindex.)
Also, rebased for recent conflicting changes.

I think we should consider a new column of an array type, where we could
put things like the list of PIDs to be waited for, the list of OIDs of
index to rebuild, or the list of partitions to build the index on.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v8-0001-Report-progress-of-CREATE-INDEX-operations.patch text/x-diff 64.0 KB
v8-0002-report-partial-progress-of-other-index-AMs.patch text/x-diff 5.2 KB