Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: andreas(at)proxel(dot)se, tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, eldmannen(at)gmail(dot)com, mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz, michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz, chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com, ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br, rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
Date: 2019-03-29 01:04:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-pkg-debian

> Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se> writes:
>> On 3/27/19 3:26 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>>> That is true, of course. But are there actual examples of such conflicts
>>> in practice? I mean, are there tools/packages that provide commands with
>>> a conflicting name? I'm not aware of any, and as was pointed before, we'd
>>> have ~20 years of history on any new ones.
>
>> That is a fair argument. Since we squatted those names back in the
>> mid-90s I think the risk of collision is low.
>
> Right. I think there is a fair argument to be made for user confusion
> (not actual conflict) with respect to createuser and dropuser. The
> argument for renaming any of the other tools is much weaker, IMO.

If we were to invent new command names, what about doing similar to
git? I mean something like:

pgsql createdb ....

Here, "pgsql" is new command name and "createdb" is a sub command name
to create a database.

This way, we would be free from the command name conflict problem and
plus, we could do:

pgsql --help

which will prints subscommand names when a user is not sure what is
the sub command name.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii