Re: First SVG graphic

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: First SVG graphic
Date: 2019-03-28 20:23:08
Lists: pgsql-docs

I think we should first exhaust all options to use the currently
supported formats, before adding a new controversial one. You can use
the {s} qualifier for a box in ditaa and it'll show a disk; this ascii
diagram produces a "similar enough" image to your diagram, for example:

+------------+ +---------+
| Original | pg_dump, other archive formats | Binary |
| Database |------------------------------->| File(s) |
| {s}| | {s} |
+------------+ +---------+
| |
| pg_dump, script format | pg_restore
| |
v v
+------------+ +----------+
| SQL INSERT | psql | Restored |

It takes more time to write this email than to get the diagram done.

(I say "controversial" about inkscape because it was initially claimed
that the output was going to be clean/readable/diffable, and that's what
got so many upvotes. After the admission that that's not so, I suspect
votes for inkscape have decreased somewhat.)

Attachment Content-Type Size
image/png 21.3 KB