Re: current_logfiles not following group access and instead follows log_file_mode permissions

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Gilles Darold <gilles(dot)darold(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: current_logfiles not following group access and instead follows log_file_mode permissions
Date: 2019-03-20 05:33:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 06:51:37PM +1100, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> IMO, this update is just a recommendation to the user, and sometimes it is
> still possible that there may be strict permissions for the log file
> even the data directory is allowed for the group access. So I feel
> it is still better to update the permissions of the current_logfiles
> to the database files permissions than log file permissions.

I was just reading again this thread, and the suggestions that
current_logfiles is itself not a log file is also a sensible
position. I was just looking at the patch that you sent at the top of
the thread here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJrrPGcEotF1P7AWoeQyD3Pqr-0xkQg_Herv98DjbaMj+naozw@mail.gmail.com

And actually it seems to me that you have a race condition in that
stuff. I think that you had better use umask(), then fopen, and then
once again umask() to put back the previous permissions, removing the
extra chmod() call.
--
Michael