Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums
Date: 2019-03-19 23:09:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 09:47:17AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> I'm not sure it needs to be this patch's responsibility to come up with
> a scheme here at all however. pg_rewind, pg_resetwal, pg_upgrade all
> don't really have a lockout mechanism, and it hasn't caused a ton of
> problems. I think it'd be good to invent something better, but it can't
> be some half assed approach that'll lead to people think their database
> is gone.

Amen. Take it as you wish, but that's actually what I was mentioning
upthread one week ago where I argued that it is a problem, but not a
problem of this patch and that this problems concerns other tools:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20190313093150.GE2988@paquier.xyz
And then, my position has been overthrown by anybody on this thread.
So I am happy to see somebody chiming in and say the same thing.

Honestly, I think that what I sent last week, with a patch in its
simplest form, would be enough:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20190313021621.GP13812@paquier.xyz

In short, you keep the main feature with:
- No tweaks with postmaster.pid.
- Rely just on the control file indicating an instance shutdown
cleanly.
- No tweaks with the system ID.
- No renaming of the control file.
--