Re: Problem with default partition pruning

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: hosoya(dot)yuzuko(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp, thibaut(dot)madelaine(at)dalibo(dot)com, imai(dot)yoshikazu(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with default partition pruning
Date: 2019-03-19 06:27:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi.

At Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:44:07 +0900, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote in <9bed6b79-f264-6976-b880-e2a5d23e9d85(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
> > v2 patch attached.
> > Could you please check it again?
>
> I think the updated patch breaks the promise that
> get_matching_range_bounds won't set scan_default based on individual
> pruning value comparisons. How about the attached delta patch that
> applies on top of your earlier v1 patch, which fixes the issue reported by
> Thibaut?

I read through the patch and understood how it works. And Amit's
proposal looks fine.

But that makes me think of scan_default as a wart.

The attached patch is a refactoring that removes scan_default
from PruneStepResult and the defaut partition is represented as
the same way as non-default partitions, without changing in
behavior. This improves the modularity of partprune code a bit.

The fix would be put on top of this easily.

Thoughts?

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
remove_scan_default_from_partprune.patch text/x-patch 18.4 KB