Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums
Date: 2019-03-15 12:23:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:54:01PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> 1. There's a typo in line 578 which makes it fail to compile:
>
> |src/bin/pg_checksums/pg_checksums.c:578:4: error: ‘y’ undeclared (first use in this function)
> | }y

I am wondering where you got this one. My local branch does not have
it, and the patch I sent does not seem to have it either.

> 2. Should the pqsignal() stuff only be setup in PG_MODE_ENABLE? Same
> with the controlfile_path?

PG_MODE_DISABLE needs controlfile_path as well. We could make the
cleanup only available when using --enable, the code just looked more
simple in its current shape. I think it's just more simple to set
everything unconditionally. This code may become more complicated in
the future.

> 3. There's (I think) leftover debug output in the following places:
>
> |+ printf(_("Renaming \"%s\" to \"%s\"\n"), controlfile_path,
> |+ controlfile_path_temp);
>
> |+ printf(_("Renaming \"%s\" to \"%s\"\n"), controlfile_path_temp,
> |+ controlfile_path);
>
> |+ printf(_("Syncing data folder\n"));
>
> (that one is debatable, we are mentioning this only in verbose mode in
> pg_basebackup but pg_checksums is more chatty anyway, so probably
> fine).

This is wanted. Many folks have been complaning on this thread about
crashes and such, surely we want logs about what happens :)

> |+ printf(_("Updating control file\n"));
>
> Besides to the syncing message (which is user-relevant cause they might
> wonder what is taking so long), the others seem to be implementation
> details we don't need to tell the user about.

Perhaps having them under --verbose makes more sense?
--
Michael