Re: Refactoring the checkpointer's fsync request queue

From: Shawn Debnath <sdn(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Refactoring the checkpointer's fsync request queue
Date: 2019-03-04 16:55:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 04:27:47PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 3:35 PM Shawn Debnath <sdn(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:
> > >
> > > How big of an explosion would it be?
> >
> > 4 enum values x # of smgrs; currently md, soon undo and slru so 12 in
> > total. Any future smgr addition will expand this further.
>
> I thought the idea was that each smgr might have a different set of
> requests. If they're all going to have the same set of requests then
> I agree with you.

Yeah, in this particular case and at this layer, the operations are
consistent across all storage managers, in that, they want to queue a
new sync request for a specific file, forget an already queued request,
forget a hierarchy of requests, or unlink a specific file.

The fun is at the smgr layer which was discussed in a sub-thread in the
"Drop type smgr" thread started by Thomas. I started on a patch and will
be sending it out after the refactor patch is revised.

--
Shawn Debnath
Amazon Web Services (AWS)