Re: Future Non-server Windows support???

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Bill Haught <wlhaught4754323(at)att(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Future Non-server Windows support???
Date: 2019-03-04 01:13:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Mar 03, 2019 at 08:30:48AM +0100, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> Speaking as a semi-ignorant, I had the impressions that all Windows versions
> are pretty similar under the hood (with occasional annoying behavior changes),
> and most of the differences are on the GUI level, while the C API is pretty
> much the same.

There are multiple ways to build Postgres code on Windows: MSVC,
Cygwin, MinGW. I cannot speak much for the MSI and packaging stuff
delivered by companies which are active in the community and others,
but for what it's worth the Windows port is still supported in the
core code, and we have folks interested in it (just committed a patch
to fix a rather old problem with MSVC port 30 minutes ago).
--
Michael