Re: [bug fix] Produce a crash dump before main() on Windows

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com, michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, magnus(at)hagander(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [bug fix] Produce a crash dump before main() on Windows
Date: 2019-03-04 04:23:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello.

At Tue, 6 Nov 2018 15:53:37 +1100, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in <CAJrrPGcxZi4Z_SttnuUvYOaw+SAdk7+cJgYpuf7ao43vuJLH2w(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
> Thanks for confirmation of that PostgreSQL runs as service.
>
> Based on the following details, we can decide whether this fix is required
> or not.
> 1. Starting of Postgres server using pg_ctl without service is of
> production use or not?
> 2. Without this fix, how difficult is the problem to find out that
> something is preventing the
> server to start? In case if it is easy to find out, may be better to
> provide some troubleshoot
> guide for windows users can help.
>
> I am in favor of doc fix if it easy to find the problem instead of assuming
> the user usage.

I don't have an idea about which is better behavior, but does
this work for you?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/wer/collecting-user-mode-dumps

> These dumps are configured and controlled independently of the
> rest of the WER infrastructure. You can make use of the local
> dump collection even if WER is disabled or if the user cancels
> WER reporting. The local dump can be different than the dump sent
> to Microsoft.

I found that symantec offers this in the steps for error
reporting of its products.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi