Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Adrien NAYRAT <adrien(dot)nayrat(at)anayrat(dot)info>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date: 2019-02-26 04:30:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert,

> Hmm, so what you're saying is that you'd like to disable an API that
> some non-backrest users are relying upon but which no backrest users
> are relying upon. And you don't understand why some non-backrest
> users are opposed to that plan. Is that a correct summary of your
> position?

This topic has come up more than once and on multiple threads (entirely
independent of pgbackrest and any of the other individuals on this
thread) and I think it needs to be a discussion held at the PGCon
Developer meeting.

I'll propose it.

If you'd like to propose something to fix the, as well discussed,
dangerous exclusive backup method, or further litigate at what point a
dangerous and misleading interface should be removed, I'm sure you'll
find we'd be happy to talk about that.

Thanks,

Stephen