Re: Using old master as new replica after clean switchover

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: RSR999GMAILCOM <rsr999(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using old master as new replica after clean switchover
Date: 2019-02-22 04:35:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 10:26:37AM -0800, RSR999GMAILCOM wrote:
> Is there any link where the required setup and the step by step procedure
> for performing the controlled switchover are listed?

Docs about failover are here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/warm-standby-failover.html

Now I don't recall that we have a section about a step-by-step
procedure for one case of failover or another. The docs could be
perhaps improved regarding that, particularly for the case mentioned
here where it is possible to relink a previous master to a promoted
standby without risks of corruption:
- Stop cleanly the primary with smart or fast mode.
- Promote the standby.
- Add recovery.conf to the previous primary.
- Restart the previous primary as a new standby.
--
Michael