Re: Prevent extension creation in temporary schemas

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, dimitri(at)citusdata(dot)com
Subject: Re: Prevent extension creation in temporary schemas
Date: 2019-02-19 04:38:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 08:02:54PM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> I'd vote for accepting the extension creation in temporary schemas and
> fixing \dx and \dx+.

Thanks.

> However the error raised by creating extensions
> in temporary schema still looks strange to me. Since we don't search
> functions and operators defined in temporary schemas (which is stated
> by the doc) unless we use qualified function name we cannot create
> extensions in temporary schema whose functions refer theirs other
> functions. I'd like to fix it or to find a workaround but cannot come
> up with a good idea yet.

Agreed. Getting a schema mismatch is kind of disappointing, and it
depends on the DDL used in the extension SQL script. I would suspect
that getting that addressed correctly may add quite some facility, for
little gain. But I may be wrong, that's only the feeling coming from
a shiver in my back.
--
Michael