Re: BUG #15636: PostgreSQL 11.1 pg_basebackup backup to a CIFS destination throws fsync error at end of backup

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #15636: PostgreSQL 11.1 pg_basebackup backup to a CIFS destination throws fsync error at end of backup
Date: 2019-02-18 03:28:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 04:10:58PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> Well the theory is that it's OK because it's only for directories (the
> same case in which case we already tolerate EBADF (for an OS that
> nobody documented so we don't really know if/when we can take it
> out)). But I agree with you that the patch does not spark joy.

If I would vote for this patch, that would be -0.1, meaning that I am
not strongly opposed to it, but I don't see any strong point either to
do something about it as there are downsides. When in doubt about a
back-patch, I use as basic rule to never back-patch so as we are sure
that users avoid any surprises and keep relying on the existing
design.
--
Michael