Re: 2019-03 CF Summary / Review - Tranche #2

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2019-03 CF Summary / Review - Tranche #2
Date: 2019-02-16 15:01:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 09:45:26PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> - Making WAL receiver startup rely on GUC context for primary_conninfo
> and primary_slot_name
>
> NR: I think this should be rejected. As noted in the thread, this
> doesn't actually buy us much, and has some potential costs once we
> make primary_conninfo PGC_SIGHUP.
>
> Andres: Reject

I am not surprised by your opinion here, you stated it clearly on the
thread :) I have just marked it as rejected, as I don't have the
energy to fight for it.

> - online change primary_conninfo
>
> WOA: Needs a bit more work, but probably can be finished for v12.

Yep, agreed.

> - Add timeline to partial WAL segments
>
> WOA: Seems to need a good bit more work, and touches sensitive bits.
>
> Andres: +0.5 for punting to v13

The problem is not that easy, particularly to make things consistent
between the backend and pg_receivewal.

> - Implement NULL-related checks in object address functions to prevent cache lookup errors, take two
>
> NR: Seems like this should go into 12, although it'd be good if Alvaro
> could take another peek before Michael pushes.

I would prefer if Alvaro has an extra look at what I am proposing as
most of the stuff in objectaddress.c is originally his.

> - Temporary materialized views
>
> NR: Some infrastructure work is needed before this can go in. Not sure
> if that can be finished for v12?

I would suggest to move that to v13. Relation creation done by CTAS
needs to be refactored first, and my take is that we could have this
refactoring part for v12, moving the core portion of the proposal to
the next dev cycle.
--
Michael