Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions
Date: 2019-02-13 01:42:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 06:03:37PM +1100, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> During the testing allow group access permissions on the standby database
> directory, one of my colleague found the issue, that pg_basebackup
> doesn't verify whether the existing data directory has the required
> permissions or not? This issue is not related allow group access
> permissions. This problem was present for a long time, (I think from
> the time the pg_basebackup was introduced).

In which case this would cause the postmaster to fail to start.

> Attached patch fixes the problem similar like initdb by changing the
> permissions of the data
> directory to the required permissions.

It looks right to me and takes care of the case where group access is
allowed. Still, we have not seen any complains about the current
behavior either and pg_basebackup is around for some time already, so
I would tend to not back-patch that. Any thoughts from others?
--
Michael