Re: dsa_allocate() faliure

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Jakub Glapa <jakub(dot)glapa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fabio Isabettini <fisabettini(at)voipfuture(dot)com>, Arne Roland <A(dot)Roland(at)index(dot)de>, Sand Stone <sand(dot)m(dot)stone(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rick Otten <rottenwindfish(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dsa_allocate() faliure
Date: 2019-02-06 23:21:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Moving to -hackers, hopefully it doesn't confuse the list scripts too much.

On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 08:52:17AM +0100, Jakub Glapa wrote:
> I see the error showing up every night on 2 different servers. But it's a
> bit of a heisenbug because If I go there now it won't be reproducible.

Do you have query logging enabled ? If not, could you consider it on at least
one of those servers ? I'm interested to know what ELSE is running at the time
that query failed.

Perhaps you could enable query logging JUST for the interval of time that the
server usually errors ? The CSV logs can be imported to postgres for analysis.
You might do something like SELECT left(message,99),COUNT(1),max(session_id) FROM postgres_log WHERE log_time BETWEEN .. AND .. GROUP BY 1 ORDER BY 2;
And just maybe there'd be a query there that only runs once per day which would
allow reproducing the error at will. Or utility command like vacuum..

I think ideally you'd set:

log_statement = all
log_min_messages = info
log_destination = 'stderr,csvlog'
# stderr isn't important for this purpose, but I keep it set to capture crash messages, too

You should set these to something that works well at your site:

log_rotation_age = '2min'
log_rotation_size = '32MB'

I would normally set these, and I don't see any reason why you wouldn't set
them too:

log_checkpoints = on
log_lock_waits = on
log_temp_files = on
log_min_error_statement = notice
log_temp_files = 0
log_min_duration_statement = '9sec'
log_autovacuum_min_duration = '999sec'

And I would set these too but maybe you'd prefer to do something else:

log_directory = /var/log/postgresql
log_file_mode = 0640
log_filename = postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S.log

Justin