Re: Online verification of checksums

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Online verification of checksums
Date: 2019-02-06 16:39:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Michael Banck (michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de) wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 05.02.2019, 11:30 +0100 schrieb Tomas Vondra:

> > > I can see both as being valuable (one gives you a more complete picture,
> > > the other a quicker answer in scripts). For me that's the point where
> > > it's the prerogative of the author to make that choice.

... unless people here object or prefer other options, and then it's up
to discussion and hopefully some consensus comes out of it.

Also, I have to say that I really don't think the 'quicker answer'
argument holds any weight, making me question if that's a valid
use-case. If there *isn't* an issue, which we would likely all agree is
the case the vast majority of the time that this is going to be run,
then it's going to take quite a while and anyone calling it should
expect and be prepared for that. In the extremely rare cases, what does
exiting early actually do for us?

> Personally, I would prefer to keep it as simple as possible for now and
> get this patch committed; in my opinion the behaviour is already like
> this (early exit on corrupt files) so I don't think the online
> verification patch should change this.

I'm also in the camp of "would rather it not exit immediately, so the
extent of the issue is clear".

> If we see complaints about this, then I'd be happy to change it
> afterwards.

I really don't think this is something we should change later on in a
future release.. If the consensus is that there's really two different
but valid use-cases then we should make it configurable, but I'm not
convinced there is.

> > Why not make this configurable, using a command-line option?
>
> I like this even less - this tool is about verifying checksums, so
> adding options on what to do when it encounters broken pages looks out-
> of-scope to me. Unless we want to say it should generally abort on the
> first issue (i.e. on wrong checksums as well).

I definitely disagree that it's somehow 'out of scope' for this tool to
skip broken pages, when we can tell that they're broken. There is a
question here about how to handle a short read since that can happen
under normal conditions if we're unlucky. The same is also true for
files disappearing entirely.

So, let's talk/think through a few cases:

A file with just 'foo\n' in it- could that be a page starting with
an LSN around 666F6F0A that we somehow only read the first few bytes of?
If not, why not? I could possibly see an argument that we expect to
always get at least 512 bytes in a read, or 4K, but it seems like we
could possibly run into edge cases on odd filesystems or such. In the
end, I'm leaning towards categorizing different things, well,
differently- a short read would be reported as a NOTICE or equivilant,
perhaps, meaning that the test case needs to do something more than just
have a file with 'foo' in it, but that is likely a good things anyway-
the test cases would be better if they were closer to real world. Other
read failures would be reported in a more serious category assuming they
are "this really shouldn't happen" cases. A file disappearing isn't a
"can't happen" case, and might be reported at the same 'NOTICE' level
(or maybe with a 'verbose' ption).

A file that's 8k in size and has a checksum but it's not right seems
pretty clear to me. Might as well include a count of pages which have a
valid checksum, I would think, though perhaps only in a 'verbose' mode
would that get reported.

A completely zero'd page could also be reported at a NOTICE level or
with a count, or perhaps only with verbose.

Other thoughts about use-cases and what should happen..?

Thanks!

Stephen