Re: What happens if checkpoint haven't completed until the next checkpoint interval or max_wal_size?

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Cc: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at, mhdsherafat(at)chmail(dot)ir, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What happens if checkpoint haven't completed until the next checkpoint interval or max_wal_size?
Date: 2019-02-05 12:30:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Tue, 5 Feb 2019 20:42:59 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote in <20190205114259(dot)GH1882(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 04:11:55PM +0530, Robert Haas wrote:
> > ...not about this part. I think the next checkpoint just doesn't start
> > until the one already in progress completes.
>
> Yes, the requests are communicated from any backends to the
> checkpointer with shared memory (see ckpt_flags in RequestCheckpoint),
> and the backend signals the checkpointer to do the work, still it
> won't do the work until the checkpoint currently running finishes.

And, requests for checkpoints are not queued. Multiple checkpoint
requests (both automatically and manually) made during a
checkpoint are finished at once at the end of the running
checkpoint.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi