Re: Built-in connection pooler

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)citusdata(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Built-in connection pooler
Date: 2019-01-29 05:14:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 10:33:06PM +0100, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> In other cases, it's important to measure and accept the possible
> performance cost of running a proxy server between the client connection
> and the PostgreSQL backend process. I believe the numbers shown in the
> previous email by Konstantin are about showing the kind of impact you
> can see when using the patch in a use-case where it's not meant to be
> helping much, if at all.

Have you looked at the possibility of having the proxy worker be
spawned as a background worker? I think that we should avoid spawning
any new processes on the backend from the ground as we have a lot more
infrastructures since 9.3. The patch should actually be bigger, the
code is very raw and lacks comments in a lot of areas where the logic
is not so obvious, except perhaps to the patch author.
--
Michael