Re: [HACKERS] Surjective functional indexes

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Surjective functional indexes
Date: 2019-01-14 23:09:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2019-01-14 18:03:24 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On 2018-11-07 14:25:54 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> In short, it seems likely to me that large parts of this patch need to
> >> be pulled out, rewritten, and then put back in different places than
> >> they are today. I'm not sure if a complete revert is the best next
> >> step, or if we can make progress without that.
>
> > We've not really made progress on this. I continue to think that we
> > ought to revert this feature, and then work to re-merge it an
> > architecturally correct way afterwards. Other opinions?
>
> Given the lack of progress, I'd agree with a revert. It's probably
> already going to be a bit painful to undo due to subsequent changes,
> so we shouldn't wait too much longer.

Yea, the reason I re-encountered this is cleaning up the pluggable
storage patch. Which certainly would make this revert harder...

> Do we want to revert entirely, or leave the "recheck_on_update" option
> present but nonfunctional?

I think it depends a bit on whether we want to revert in master or
master and 11. If only master, I don't see much point in leaving the
option around. If both, I think we should (need to?) leave it around in
11 only.

Greetings,

Andres Freund