Re: Policy on cross-posting to multiple lists

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Policy on cross-posting to multiple lists
Date: 2019-01-10 19:18:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Greetings,

* Dave Page (dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org) wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:17 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > I'm quite on board with the need to reduce useless cross-posting,
> > but this is not the solution.
>
> Agreed. Similarly, posts from pgadmin-support sometimes end up
> intentionally being cross posted to pgadmin-hackers.

So, in implementing this we did consider that different lists might wish
for different policies and given that -hackers seems to be common among
the discussion, what if we just dropped the restriction for posts to
-hackers?

That is, emails to -bugs and -hackers would be allowed through to both
lists, cross-posts to -general and -sql, for example, would get the
bounce-back.

As there seems relatively little downside, I've gone ahead and made that
change, but I don't mean to forstall further discussion. Should we
apply that change to other lists? To all of them?

Tom's idea about allowing cross-posts on replies is an interesting one
as well. I've also added a certain someone to the thread explicitly to
see what his thoughts are on that, and the rest.

Thanks!

Stephen