Re: BUG #15548: Unaccent does not remove combining diacritical characters

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Hugh Ranalli <hugh(at)whtc(dot)ca>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15548: Unaccent does not remove combining diacritical characters
Date: 2019-01-03 18:19:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On 2019-Jan-03, Hugh Ranalli wrote:

> I realise this is an incredibly minor component of the PostgreSQL
> infrastructure, but as I don't want to hold up reviewers, may I ask:
>
> - It seems we have two votes for Python 3 only, and one for Python 2/3.
> I lean toward Python 2/3 myself because: a) many distributions still ship
> with Python 2 as the default and b) it's a single code block that can
> easily be removed. If the decision is for Python 3, I'd like at least to
> add a check that catches this and prints a message, rather than leaving
> someone with a cryptic runtime error that makes them think the script is
> broken;

I kinda agree with Peter that this is a fringe, rarely run program where
the python3 requirement is unlikely to be onerous, but since the 2/3
compatibility is so little code, I would opt for keeping it for the time
being. We can remove it in a couple of years.

> - Michael Paquier, do you have any other comments? If not, I'll adjust
> the documentation to use the URLs you have indicated. If you are
> downloading via curl or wget, the URL I used is the proper one. It gives
> you the XML file, whereas the other saves the HTML interface, leading to
> errors if you try to run it. I'll also add this to the documentation.

I think the point is that if the committee updates with a further
version of the file, how do you find the new version? We need a URL
that's one step removed from the final file, so that we can see if we
need to update it. Maybe we can provide both URLs for convenience.