Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Julian Markwort <julian(dot)markwort(at)uni-muenster(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Valery Popov <v(dot)popov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol
Date: 2016-07-22 00:02:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 8:48 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I'm confused. We need that code in both libpq and backend, no?
>> src/common is the place for stuff of that description.

> Not necessarily. src/interfaces/libpq/Makefile uses a set of files
> like md5.c which is located in the backend code and directly compiles
> libpq.so with them, so one possibility would be to do the same for
> sha.c: locate the file in src/backend/libpq/ and then fetch the file
> directly when compiling libpq's shared library.

Meh. That seems like a hack left over from before we had src/common.

Having said that, src/interfaces/libpq/ does have some special
requirements, because it needs the code compiled with -fpic (on most
hardware), which means it can't just use the client-side libpgcommon.a
builds. So maybe it's not worth improving this.

> One thing about my current set of patches is that I have begun adding
> files from src/common/ to libpq's list of files. As that would be new
> I am wondering if I should avoid doing so.

Well, it could link source files from there just as easily as from the
backend. Not object files, though.