Re: [HACKERS] REINDEX CONCURRENTLY 2.0

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] REINDEX CONCURRENTLY 2.0
Date: 2018-12-27 23:32:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 11:04:09AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The current patch prevents REINDEX CONCURRENTLY of invalid indexes, but
> I wonder why that is so. Anyone remember?

It should be around this time:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqRwVtQcHWErUf9o0hrRGFyQ9xArk7K7jCLxqKLy_6CXPQ@mail.gmail.com

And if I recall correctly the rason to not be able to reindex invalid
entries was that when working on a table, schema or database, if a
failure happens in the process, the reindexing would need to happen
for a double number of indexes when repeating the command.
--
Michael